Edward M. Chernoff
Phone (713) 222-9141
Born in 1962, Ed Chernoff is the patriarch of Chernoff Law and continues to be the firm’s leading attorney. After receiving an accounting degree in 1984 from the University of Florida, Mr. Chernoff attended the University of Houston Law Center after being awarded a scholarship. Ed Chernoff was recruited after law school and joined the Harris County District Attorney’s office, where he tried 70 jury trials.
During his time at the D.A.’s office, Ed Chernoff only lost one felony trial. He was the lead Assistant DA for cases tried and won until the time when he left to begin his private practice.
In 1991, Ed Chernoff left the D.A.’s office to start Chernoff Law. Just a few years later in 1995, he was recommended and received the Board Certification in Criminal Law. Ed Chernoff is known throughout the country for the high profile cases that he has tried and won. Colleagues and others throughout the country have recognized Mr. Chernoff’s ability to win these challenging cases, and he was recertified as a specialist in 2000, 2005 and 2010.
The passion of Ed Chernoff’s legal practice is to build strong relationships with his clients. He believes this is the cornerstone of his practice, and many former clients consider Mr. Chernoff to be a savior and a friend. Especially in the area of Family Law, Ed Chernoff works to insure that every client feels comfortable with the result of their case and their family is well cared for and optimistic about their future.
Areas of Practice:
- Family Law in Texas State Courts
- Criminal – State and Federal
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Criminal Law, Texas Board Legal Specialization, 1995
- Chosen SuperLawyer by Texas Magazine 2012
- Texas, 1987
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas, 1992
- California, 2011
- University of Houston Law Center, Houston, Texas, 1987
- University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, 1984
Past Employment Positions:
- Harris County District Attorney, Assistant D.A., 1987 – 1991
- Managing Partner of Stradley, Chernoff & Alford 1999 – 2012